Barley, Feta and Pear Salad
I finally carved out some time to try a new recipe. I have wanted to experiment with barely and when I saw a recipe for a barely, feta and pear salad I was sold!
Barely can be bland so I figured the strong flavors from the feta, walnuts and radicchio would go well. Barley is full of fiber so will keep you full longer and the richness from the feta and walnuts really satisfy.
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves (I could not find flat leaf so used curly parsley)
- 1 celery rib
- 1/2 small head radicchio (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 firm-ripe pear (want to be slightly firm – I used a golden pear but can use any)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. – I used my toaster oven – a bit easier
- Fill 2-quart saucepan three fourths full with water – bring to boil – add barley and boil, partially covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. (The barley took about 35-40)
- While barley is cooking, in a baking pan toast walnuts in middle of oven until golden, about 7 minutes. (I used toaster oven and only needed about 5 minutes)
- Chop parsley. Cut celery and radicchio into 1/4-inch dice. Peel (optional) and core pear and cut into 1/4-inch dice. (I did not dice the radicchio quite as small and probably should have – a strong flavor and also I did not peel the pear – I rarely peel anything as there are typically nutrients in the skin)
- Drain barley in a sieve and transfer to a bowl. Add feta to barley and add nuts, parsley, celery, radicchio, pear, lemon juice, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss salad until combined.
(Gourmet, November 1998)
Calories: 380 per serving = 2 cups – so can have as meal or have less and serve as a side.
This recipe was super easy and start to finish took me 45 minutes. The unique combination of flavors was delightful and will be a great salad for summer. The citric acid from the lemon juice keeps the pears and salad fresh – I am on day 3 and still tastes great! Enjoy 🙂